Friday, August 13, 2010

EtherPads



When I was reading Pauline White's blog about EsterPads I was amazed at how simple and interesting she made them sound. So I decided that I need to check out EtherPads for myself. To use an EtherPad you first have to open Primary Pad and click on the trial link. Follow the instructions from there to create your own pad!

Public pad is very similar to a Wiki, in that you can add and explore ideas with a common group of people. I really like the use of colors which makes it very clear who has contributed and who has not. I think this tool could be used in classrooms as a collaborative learning tool to assist teachers and students as they communicate with each other. I will definitely be adding this tool to my Weebly Webpage of useful sites.




This site also has a tool similar to paint where students and teachers can add their own images or draw images. These can then be linked to the PublicPad. Which gives students a visual image to re-enforce their ideas.

PLUS
1. Easy to use
2. Simple instructions for students
3. Encourages collaborative learning
4. Supports the engagement theory as students can; define the task, seek and share information, access eachothers ideas, use the information and present and evaluate the process.
5. Distance is no barrier, regardless of location students can contribute (click here to see a conversation Pauline White, Kate Pollard and I had about this).

MINUS
1. If the internet or computers are not accessible for all students they would be unable to contribute.
2. Some students might accidentally delete all the information.

INTERESTING
1. The use of this tool in classrooms on a global scale is limitless!
2. Teachers could use this tool in most KLA's
3. Some suggested ideas can be viewed here

I hope you too can experience this great tool!

No comments:

Post a Comment