Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Classroom application for Wikis

Last week I started a Wiki with 'wetpaint.com'. I found it really difficult to use any of the applications and was struggling to understand how this tool could be utilised effectively in the classroom because it was taking me so long to get anywhere. I found that there were too many tabs up the top of the screen for me to navigate, the user needed to download lots of applications to upload photos and there were numerous pop-ups that were so annoying!! I basically threw my hands in the air and gave up!

For our group assignments (for other subjects) Aly suggested that we use a Wiki to collaboratively research and to help us keep a track of everything. At first I was not excited about the prospect of spending countless hours trying to upload information. However when I attempted to upload my information I found that the wiki that Aly set up was through 'wikispaces.com' and was much easier to use. The layout and instructions were much easier to navigate through, and there were no annoying pop-ups!


Group Assignment: Ensuring Student Success Wiki

I have now deleted my original wetpaint.com wiki and established a new wikispaces.com wiki which can be viewed at www.twohourstwiceaweek.wikispaces.com. After this journey I can see that a wiki could be implemented in the classroom in numerous ways such as:
  • homework tasks
  • interacting with an international buddy class
  • writing a group assignment
  • vocabulary lists
  • literature circles
  • community recipe book

After researching about wikis in the classroom I found a great site called 50 Ways to use Wikis which has a comprehensive list of classroom ideas. I will be sure to us a wiki for future practises.

No comments:

Post a Comment