Thursday, July 8, 2010

The beginning...

After yesterday’s lecture I have realised that I am quite internet illiterate. So I have decided that this first blog should be a glossary of new terms. Some of the below definitions have been taken directly from www.urbandictionary.com

Glossary

Webmaster - somebody who does the programming and designing of a website

Blog - Short for weblog. Allows different people to share “news”

Wikis - A collaborative Web site comprised of the perpetual collective work of many authors. Similar to a blog in structure and logic, a wiki allows anyone to edit, delete or modify content that has been placed on the

Forums - An internet-based Bulletin Board in which members can post thoughts and views.

I imagine that this list will grow as this course progresses :-)



According to the standards proposed by Marc Prensky (2001) in his article Digital Natives Digital Immigrants, I am assuredly a "Digital Immigrant" as I prefer print text over the computer screen and feel like everyday there is something technical that I struggle to understand. However, Prensky makes an impressionable statement when he suggests that we should not be "outdated" as we will limit the educational advances of our "Digital Native" students. I firmly agree with this statement and intend to 'power up' my skills and make considerable advances in technology, hopefully this blog will be a good starting place. I am interested to hear your thoughts on this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment